With each new season I like to change up what I put on my front door, but sometimes I find it hard to find something other than the traditional wreath.
At the beginning of this year, I got the brain wave to stitch something different for each season to display on the front door. Years ago I had made a small Halloween hanging for that spot and have always really liked how it looked. So back in March, I dug through my stash of freebies to look for a Springtime stitch.
I decided on a pattern called "Robin on an Egg" by Little House Needleworks. I found that the recommended colours for the robin itself didn't really represent how the robins look in our area, so I changed things up a bit. I used one strand of Primitive Black silk combined with one strand of Soot (GAST) for it's body, and Burnt Orange (GAST) for it's belly. I changed the border to a green called Scuppernog (Weeks) and I'm really happy how it turned out!
The following month, I was wanting to do a "quick fix" stitch, and went through my patterns again, this time looking for something Summer-y. I found a pretty butterfly...not sure who the designer is though, since there wasn't any info on the pattern. I didn't have the perfect colour on hand for it, so off to the Thread & Eye I went (and Bonnie came along too!). So many choices! I finally decided on Delphinium by Gloriana.
As I started to stitch, I noticed that the sides of the butterfly weren't symmetrical, so I had to do quite a bit of re-charting (and frogging!!) to get it just right. In the end, it wasn't as quick of a stitch as I had originally thought, but I am happy with how it turned out too.
Now, I do have all of the fabric I need to make these into wall/door hangings... I just have to get busy and get it done! The robin will just have to wait to go on display for next spring, but if I want the butterfly up for the summer, I will have to get the sewing machine out really soon!!
Have a happy weekend everyone!!